Practical information to prepare at best
your trip to Tahiti
and sailing cruise in French Polynesia.
PREPARE YOUR CRUISE
IN CATAMARAN AT TAHITI AND ITS ISLANDS:
CLIMATE AND NAVIGATION:
Located in the intertropical zone, French Polynesia benefits from a climatic unit, with a sun present on average 8 hours a day and a low annual thermal amplitude with temperatures oscillating between 75,2 and 86 °F (24 and 30 °C) all the year.
• “Cool” season from April to October (austral winter):
> perfect conditions for cruising, regular trade winds south-east, sunny days and well ventilated.
• Rainy season from November to March (austral summer):
> hurricane season with frequent rains and stronger winds.
• Tides: not very important or almost zero in the lagoons.
HEALTH AND VACCINES:
Vaccinations recommended by your country
EQUIPMENT TO BE PROVIDED:
Plan for light clothes:
The climate is very mild in Tahiti and on the Polynesian islands, summer clothes and beachwear are recommended. In catamaran cruising, the essential thing to remember is your sun protection! Sun creams, sunglasses, hats …
In case of rain or wind, for evenings and cooler nights from June to August, plan a small woolen and waterproof clothing.
To protect your feet, provide shoes to walk in the water because the beaches are often lined with corals, but, on the ground, prefer the “tong” or light savate, because everyone takes off their shoes before entering a house or a bungalow.
In case of mosquitoes: think of providing a classic repellent, but no anti-malarial treatment is to be expected.
– Hello : ‘ia ora na
– How are you? : e aha te huru?
– All right, thank you : maita’i mauruuru
– Thanks : mauruuru (a lot : +roa)
– Yes / No : e, ‘oia / ‘aita
– How much costs? : ehia moni
– Bye : nana
4170 km2 (emerged), equivalent area to Europe
– The archipelago of the Society, where are the Windward Islands (Tahiti, Moorea and Tetiaroa) and the Leeward Islands (Raiatea, Tahaa, Huahine, Bora Bora)
– The Marquesas archipelago
– The Austral Archipelago
– The archipelago of Tuamotu and Gambier
– Polynesian: 65 %
– Foreigners: 10 %
– Chinese: 7 %
– Half (mixed race) : 18 %
• No visa for European nationals
• Valid passport + 6 months after return date.
Tahiti Faa’a (Southwest of Papeete)
1 dollar US = 96.66 FCP
1 FCP = 0,01 dollar US
1 euro = 119.33 FCP
1 FCP = 0,008 euros
Polynesia: 240,000 inhabitants
Papeete: 118,000 inhabitants
Calling Code: + (00) 689